Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sprouting Seedlings!

I have been diligently taking care of my little "container" garden. I"m growing seeds in cans. When I cook, I'll save the cans, put some dirt in it, a few seeds and some water and let the growing begin!

I hadn't noticed until today, but I have 4 corn plants that have sprouted! I was so excited and so shocked I hadn't noticed it before!


How cute! I might actually get some corn this year! Yes, I do live in an apartment. But I read about what's called the "3 Sisters Pot". Its done by using a 5 gallon container. You plant corn in the middle, squash around it, and pole climbing beans. I have my corn growing, I have my squash and beans planted (among others).

I actually moved a tiny bit of dirt off the top of my beans and I saw that a bean had sprouted and was about ready to come up! I planted these all one week ago. Most of my plants have about 7 more days before I see too much come from it. But I'm so excited! Spring is here!

I also planted a new plant today. I planted some green peppers. I LOVE peppers, they spice up any dish. They can be so expensive in the stores, so why not just grow your own! :)


So now I have a little family of seedlings. It's been so much fun to plant them in my little cans and decorate them. On the back of each can I wrote the day I planted it and how many days until I should see life from them. :) I enjoy learning how to be self sufficient. I've never really taken care of a garden before, so it's been fun to learn and experiment as I go.


I just watered them again.

- SamiMae

No comments:

Post a Comment