Sunday, December 28, 2014

Change of Paths

Man, life has been pretty crazy these last few weeks. Our path has completely changed. It's interesting to watch God work in our lives. We've seen Him guiding our lives a lot these last few weeks. It's interesting to take a step back and look at the whole picture so far and see what's happened.

January of this year, I parted ways with my previous job. It was a weekend of prayer and faith. It was suppose to happen. I've spent this year finishing up my bachelor's degree in accounting. I've cut over a year off of school and have done all my core classes in this year alone. I made great progress. Now I'm 3 tasks, 1 test and a capstone project away from graduating. By April, I'll be finished! (My original projected graduation date was August 2016).

Well, on the 5th of December, some things changed. Trevor hadn't heard back from the company we really wanted to get an internship with. And, I had a doctor's appointment which confirmed that I have PCOS. (Polycyctic Ovary Syndrome). That day sucked all the way around. We were back to square one. We still have no internship lined up for next summer, and I'm working on handling my symptoms.

So the next day, which was Saturday, Trevor took some time to go up to the temple and ponder and think on the temple grounds. Later, when he came home, we talked about it. He felt he should ask me to look for a job. I agreed. I'm near the end of my degree, and he's the Priesthood holder for our family. So, that night I got online and started poking around. Turns out that 6-8 jobs had just been posted that I was qualified for! While looking at the jobs, I prayed to keep my heart and mind open to the right thing.

I had been thinking about getting my QuickBooks certification for quite some time. But, it requires a large sum of money to do so, which would require us to pull from savings. As I prayed and thought, I felt that I "would not get a job without it." Which I agreed with. Most accounting jobs require QuickBooks experience - which I didn't have. So, Sunday night, we purchased me a spot in a class, the following week to receive some training. Later that Sunday night, I also sent in my resume to about 5 places online. There was still one job I wanted to apply for, but had to do it in person.

So, Monday I did just that. I went into this business and sent in my application in person. I felt the worst about this application. I didn't have strong references, and I didn't allow them to contact my last employer. But, later that night I received a phone call asking for an interview!

Great! I thought. Tuesday I had a 20 minute interview that went really well. Wednesday morning, I receive a phone call. They offered me the job! I was so excited. Then they asked, "Can you be here by noon today?" Hahaha.

Within one week, I went from not even looking for a job, to working. It's a wonderful job. I quite enjoy it. It's giving me experience in every main aspect of accounting. AND, I'm learning the real estate industry.

It was so awesome to see everything unfold before us. I feel like God literally picked us up off of one path and put us on another one saying "No, you really want to be over here." This experience has also been an example that God knows all. In November I received a calling in the Relief Society presidency. This is a one year calling. Trevor and I were planning on moving out for the summer, which would only give me 4 months in my calling. Well, now we are here through the summer because I have a job and Trevor will start his masters in September. God knows all. If we do his will, He will lead us, and we will be in the right places at the right times.

The path and plans that Trevor and I thought would be good for us, turned out to not be the best. God knew that, and showed us that by leading us in another direction. We also know that we have to be willing to change and search for the correct path. It's funny, because Trevor and I had never thought of staying in Provo next summer. But since we will be here, and we've been lead down this path, we know that Trevor will be lead to the right internship/job for next summer and that it'll all work out. :)

- SamiMae

No comments:

Post a Comment